Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Cut to the Chase and Say What You Believe!!!!

I have (for lack of a better term) a pet peeve about being wishy washy. I'm of the opinion that we would all be a lot better off if people would just say what they think and lay all their cards on the table (so to speak). It gets on my nerves so much for people to hem and haw around issues and never say what they really think. Or worse--to be purposefully ambiguous (for some unknown pedagogical reason). I can respect someone who I disagree with who is at least clear about what he thinks, but I'm even troubled by people who I agree with who avoid talking about issues because they don't want to raise a stink.

I think that this is how we ought to treat the gospel. We ought not merely list the scholarly options and let students take their own choice. Ministers who teach the gospel need to be advocates for what they believe that the truth is. To merely list the options and leave it to students to figure it out is irresponsible, if a teacher has real convictions about what the truth is. To be wishy washy is the same thing as advocating that the issues are just not important at all.

Therefore, anyone reading this, I don't want to sound cantankerous, but please, for the love of God and truth, speak (or write) from your convictions and stop caring so much about what people think.

No comments: